How to Keep That Carved Pumpkin Fresh!
Carving a pumpkin is a lot of work! Preserve your masterpiece and enjoy it longer with just an extra step.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Slather Vaseline on the carved parts of your pumpkin to keep it from drying out and to help prevent mold from growing. Wear a rubber glove for this project!
- Give your pumpkin a bath in 1 tsp of bleach per gallon of water. Let it soak for a few hours and spin it every now and then. The water helps hydrate the pumpkin and the bleach kills bacteria that promotes mold.
- There's a preservative that you can buy called "Pumpkin Fresh".
- Cooking oils like coconut or vegetable oil work, reapply as needed.
- The best kept secret in your garage for keeping your pumpkin fresh is WD-40! The mineral oil will prevent your pumpkins from drying out.
We are carving our Jack O' Lanterns on our farmer's porch today. I'm going to try coconut oil to keep them fresh.