Mainer’s Go Green at the Grocery Store! Tips!
Many cities and towns in Maine are encouraging people to bring reusable grocery bags when they shop, by charging them for paper and plastic.
We can take it to the next level with a few more changes:
- Skip the plastic produce bags for your sturdy fruits and vegetables.
- Make sure that you really need what you are about to buy. The amount of waste that we create is mind numbing, both in packaging and uneaten food.
- Find a good multi purpose cleaner instead of buying a different one for each surface. Better yet, learn to make your own eco-friendly cleaner!
- Don't buy individual servings that require more packaging.
- Cut down on packaging by buying in bulk.
- Compost, recycle, reuse and REFUSE! That's the new R! Don't buy products that are packaged in styrofoam and other bad-for-the-planet materials.
- Grow what you can and buy locally when you can.
- Buy the produce that isn't great looking. So much food is thrown away for simply being unattractive!
- Organize your refrigerator by expiration dates. This is a tip that I need to put into effect immediately!
Are you doing something new and fabulous to reduce waste? Tell us about it on our Fan Page or tweet #greenergroceries