Portland Guy Has Jar Jar Binks Full Back Tattoo, Still Gets Him Some
First of all, let me congratulate Troy Bennett at Bangor Daily News for a wonderfully insightful interview with a quirky dude from Portland who is proudly sporting a full back tattoo of Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars: Episode 1-The Phantom Menace and has a few things to say.
Michael Ouellette of South Portland is better known around Portland as The Fuge. He is 42 and has a huge tattoo of Jar Jar Binks on his back that was done by Chris Dingwell of Squirrel Cage Studios on Forest Ave. in Portland.
The Fuge has a drink named after him at one of my favorite Thai restaurants, Boda, and he's on a bowling team at Bayside Bowl. According to his BDN interview, he doesn't live in his parents basement, he knows that Star Wars isn't real and he has had sex multiple times. The Fuge does go out into the daylight, he is married and has a job. So why a tattoo of one of the most hated characters in the Star Wars stable of bizarre creatures? Because it's fun. I love this guy.
Read the BDN interview by Troy Bennett in it's entirety here. These are my favorite take-aways from it:
- The Fuge was not drunk when he got the tat, but he was when he decided to get it.
- Chris Dingwell cleared his booked schedule to do the tattoo. Because obviously, Chris must be awesome.
- It took three seven hour sessions to finish Jar Jar. I love the thumbs up. It took a while to get the thumbs just right because Jar Jar's hands are all jacked up. Gungans aren't typically hand models.
- The Fuge will pretty much take his shirt off anywhere to show any rando his tattoos.
- Matching Tats of C3PO and R2D2 are shared by the Fuge and his lovely bride, Jessica.
- This is not the The Fuge's first Star Wars tattoo. Our boy has gone all out. Track him down at Bayside Bowl and ask for the tour.