Propane Safety Reminders As Mainers Experience Cold Weather
According to WGME, the Farmington fire has raised awareness about propane safety.
The Maine State Fire Marshal's Office reminds consumers that propane has a very distinct rotten egg smell. If you detect a propane leak, put out any smoking materials or flames, such as candles. Do not use your cell phone, appliances, telephone, lights or anything else that could possibly cause a spark. Get to a safe place and call 911 right away.
Propane.com has more winter propane tips:
- If you smell a gas leak and it is safe to do so, turn off the propane by turning the valve on the tank to the right. Remember righty tighty, lefty losey.
- Use a broom instead of a shovel to clear snow away from your tank to avoid damage.
- Make sure there is a clear delivery path to the tank.
- Never bring a propane grill or space heater into your home, even during a power outage.
- Use propane wisely during bad weather when deliveries can be difficult. A programable thermostat can help conserve energy.