Safety Tips For Deep Frying Your Thanksgiving Turkey!
The Propane Gas Association of New England is passing along some safety tips to Mainers who are choosing to deep fry their turkeys this year, and there are a lot of you!
- Make sure that the fryer is on flat ground to keep the oil level and ensure safety.
- Set up the turkey at least ten feet away from your house and make it an off limits area to pets and kids.
- NEVER leave a fryer unattended!
- Monitor the temperature and be cautious when touching the fryer lid and handle, they can get hella-hot!
- Prepare for the worst by having a fire extinguisher ready at all times in case the oil ignites. Make sure that you have the correct extinguisher, multi-purpose, dry powder.
- Oil and water DO NOT mix! Dry that turkey off very well before dipping it in oil. Extra water will make the oil angry and boil over, that can cause a fire.
Deep frying turkey has become very popular but every Thanksgiving accidents are reported associated with it, be safe out there!