These Facts About the WBLM Radio Tower WIll Blow Your Mind
In radio-talk they call it a "flamethrower." The WBLM transmitter. 100,000 watts strong-the most allowed by the FCC. The antennae is on the WGME tower in Raymond and it's a biggie. At one point it was the largest man-made erected structure in the US.
AMAZING FACTS ABOUT THE WBLM/WGME TOWER
- The tower was built in 1959
- It is guyed on all three sides at anchor points 1200 feet from its base
- Because of the extreme length of the guy wires the tower requires 100 acres of land
- It can withstand winds up to 152 mph
- It has an elevator that can carry 3 people
- The tower weighs 520,000 pounds
- There are over 13,000 bolts used in construction and the Captain and Celeste go out there every weekend to tighten them up (not true).
This sucker is taller than the Empire State Building, the Eiffel Tower and the Washington Monument.
It's soooo tall that people used to Base Jump off the top!