U.S.M. On Alert After Possible Abduction Attempt
The release from the U.S.M. Dept. of Public Safety stated that the student was in the area of Bailey Hall on the Gorham campus when a guy in a silver Ford compact car pulled up on her asking her to come to his vehicle to look at a picture on his phone. He continued calling out to her, trying to get her to come to his car.
The license plate on the late model silver or gray Ford was too dirty to read. The car was possibly a Ford Focus.
The driver is described by U.S.M. as being in his late 20s or early 30s, wearing sunglasses with a reddish or brown beard and having an athletic build.
The driver left when the student went into Bailey Hall. The U.S.M. police have been unable to locate the vehicle and are asking that anyone with information call them at 207-780-5211.
Here are some safety reminders to all college students:
- If you see something, say something. Report anything suspicious to police immediately, including vehicles as well as people.
- Use the campus' Police Escort Service if you aren't feeling safe.
- Never get into a vehicle with a stranger.
- Always have friend to walk with at night.
- If you even suspect that you are being followed immediately go to a populated area.