Wet, heavy snow is on the way and we may be facing power outages. Time to prepare! First off, locate a deck of cards, a box of candles and some decent wine.

Here's what else...

  • Have a 3 day supply of drinkable water ready and stock up on batteries flashlights and foods such as: granola bars, peanut butter, crackers and canned foods and juices.
  • Don't forget about your pets, make sure they have plenty of food and any medication that they may need.
  • Carbon monoxide alarms should be on every floor of your house and near any appliance likely to emit carbon monoxide, such as water heaters and furnaces. If your alarm sounds, get fresh air immediately by going outside or opening a window. Call 911 and wait for help.
  • Make sure generators are properly ventilated and that you are operating them according to manufacturer's instructions.
  • Never try to heat your home with gas stoves, charcoal grills or any other open-flame heat source that could cause carbon monoxide to build up.
  • Fully charge any electronic devices and save your phone's battery by turning down the screen brightness and closing apps.
  • Turn faucets on to a trickle to keep pipes from freezing. Wrap pipes in newspaper or insulation and keep cabinet doors under your sinks open to allow warm air to circulate around them.