How Maine Is Celebrating Earth Day Today
The first Earth Day took place on April 22,1970 to bring attention to environmental issues. Maine will observe Earth Day 2019 today with beach clean-ups, environmentally themed film festivals and activities for the kids.
Here's what's happening. Add any more activities to our Fan Page.
- Earth Day Beach Clean Up at York's Long Sands Beach, meeting in front of the bath house, today from 9a-noon. Clean up bins will be provided, but please bring your own gloves.
- Earth Day at the Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine in Portland, includes playing with mud, planting seeds, handling live animals, story times and special face painting from 10:30-4:30 today.
- Earth Day at First Parish UU, 425 Congress St. in Portland, will be observed from 6-8p. with short films and discussions.
- The Earth Day Celebration at First Parish Church UCC in Yarmouth will be held from 6-8p and is sponsored by the First Parish Church Earth Stewardship Team.
- An Earth Day Film Festival is being held at Gilsland Farm at 7p, tonight at 20 Gilsland Farm Rd. in Falmouth. This is a 21+ event that features a curated selection of short independent films, beverages and an evening of Earth Day celebration.