Your List of 9/11 Blood Drives and Observances In Maine
Today is the 17th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Over 3,000 people died in the attacks.
According to WGME, these are some of the remembrance ceremonies happening today:
- The Portland Fire and Police Departments will hold a ceremony at the 9/11 Memorial in Fort Allen Park with a wreath laying ceremony and moment of silence at 8:45.
- The Lewiston Fire Department will hold a ceremony at Central Station, 2 College St at 9:45. There will be a wreath laying ceremony, the Fire Department Chaplain will recite the "Fireman's Prayer" and Mayor Shane Bouchard and Senator Angus King will speak.
- The Auburn Fire Department memorial ceremony will take place at the Central Fire Station, 550 Minot Road.
The American Red Cross has announced the following Day of Remembrance blood drives taking place today as well:
- The Portland Fire Dept., from 11a-5p at the Portland Elks Lodge, 1945 Congress St.
- Auburn Fire Dept., 1p-6p, 550 Minot Ave.
- Augusta Civic Center, 76 Community Drive, 11a-6p
- Holden Fire Dept., 9a-2p, 570 Main Rd.
To make an appointment or get more information, download the Red Cross app, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS.